I was a total bookworm growing up. I loved nothing more than curling up with a good book, or two, and getting lost in magical worlds, solving mysteries, or wandering through history. Angelica Ibarra helps families the break the cycle of illiteracy and find that love of reading. Let’s learn more about Angelica today.
1. Tell us in a few sentences what you do. And why you do it.
As the director of Achieve Plant City, I manage the organization and our educational programs. Our services help families break the cycle of poverty and illiteracy. We help preschool children prepare to enter kindergarten on level. We provide adult literacy classes to parents to help them gain valuable skills that they can use to pursue further education or obtain employment. We promote parent involvement and focus on enhancing the skills of parents to help them strengthen the family unit by offering an array of workshops. We offer tutoring and reading instruction to children in elementary school to help them succeed in school and in life.
I am passionate about family literacy and feel that individuals can truly transform their lives through education. I grew up in a home where education was not valued, and I set out to change that for other families in our community.
2. What is your contact info (that you want shared) please include any active social handles, websites etc.
3. When I wake up in the morning the first thing I do is…
Make my coffee.
4. My best business advice is….
Learn everything you can about your field/industry.
5. My professional goal for 2021 is…
…to grow the organization and become the best executive director.
6. Supporting women in business is now more critical than ever. How can our community best support you?
The best way to support me and our efforts is by bringing awareness to the importance of literacy and how it impacts so many issues in society. I think that once the community becomes aware of the power of literacy, then they will support it in different ways.
7. Your Astrological sign:
8. Favorite donut:
9. Favorite pandemic binge watch:
Hell on Wheels
10. When I practice self-care I…
…stay at home, grab the remote, and have food delivered.
11. The place I am happiest is…
I really enjoy nature and I love the mountains.
12. People are surprised to learn I…
…love to dance.