Today’s flyer, Mindy Murphy, helps women and children ascend when they are at their most vulnerable, so she earns a special spot in first class. Since their founding in 1977, her organization, The Spring of Tampa Bay, has provided a safe haven and comprehensive supportive services to more than 60,000 abused adults and their children, and they’ve answered calls all hours of the day and night from well over 150,000 women in crisis. Let’s get to know Mindy!
1. Tell us in a few sentences what you do. And why you do it.
As President and CEO of The Spring of Tampa Bay, I work to prevent domestic violence in our community, and provide meaningful and life-changing supports to survivors and their kids. I have more than 25 years of nonprofit experience, both in staff and board leadership roles with agencies dedicated to serving children and families. A graduate of UVA, I am a life-long learner who appreciates the wisdom and experience The Spring’s dedicated staff and volunteers bring to the mission each day, and the courage of the survivors we serve. I do this work because far too many batterers believe they have absolute power and control over their partners and, far too often, our society supports their battering. Each time one of us speaks up, we let another survivor know she has an ally to turn to when she’s ready for help.
2. What is your contact info (that you want shared) please include any active social handles, websites etc.
3. When I wake up in the morning the first thing I do is…
I check my Outlook calendar, set a 10-minute warning alarm for every meeting I have that day (you can imagine how much our team loves hearing alarms ringing down the hall each day – but I am a classic “squirrel” and would absolutely miss my own party without these reminders!) and then I foam-roll my aches and pains away. I always intend to start each day with 5 minutes of Headspace, but intentions don’t always result in action.
4. My best business advice is….
- It’s a lot easier to go to work each day if you love what you do. (Joseph Campbell wrote “Follow your bliss” which is such a great statement!).
- It’s a lot easier to be successful if you surround yourself with colleagues who have greater expertise than you in each specific area your organization needs to thrive. I would be nowhere without Roseanne, Ellen, Steve and Keith – and The Spring’s fantastically-supportive board of directors is the icing on our cake!
- It’s a lot easier to find balance in your life if you maintain peace within yourself. This quote hangs in my home, and I try to live it out each day: “Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.”
5. My professional goal for 2021 is…
Continue doing everything in my power to effectively lead and support our team in delivering high-quality services, supports and legal representation to survivors of domestic violence and their kids.
6. Supporting women in business is now more critical than ever. How can our community best support you?
February is Donations Without Dollars month for The Spring and our two sister centers in Tampa Bay (CASA/St Pete and Sunrise of Pasco County)! Everyone can help us by completing 45-second surveys on national brands like Starbucks and Uber. You can answer up to 75 surveys (won’t take more than 75 minutes) during the month, and raise $150 for us!! The consumer polling company we are working with does NOT provide your personal data to the brands and anyone 18+ can answer a survey and raise $2 per survey for The Spring. Our bold, audacious goal is to raise $50,000 for The Spring, and $100,000 for the three centers in the Heart of Tampa Bay. But, we can’t do it WITHOUT YOU!! Here are two ways to sign up for the program:
- Text “4survivors” to 31996
7. Your Astrological sign:
8. Favorite donut:
Not a donut lover, but give me some Graeter’s Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream from Cincinnati (conveniently in local Walmart freezers) and I am in heaven.
9. Favorite podcast:
10. Favorite book:
Whatever I’m currently reading!
11. Favorite pandemic binge watch:
Schitt’s Creek – wickedly funny AND incredibly moving.
12. When I practice self-care I…
…am reading or relaxing at home with absolutely nothing to do.
13. The place I am happiest is…
…hanging out with my son, Jed (we like to get outdoors and bike or walk together on the weekends) or with close friends somewhere off the beaten path. We have some seriously deep conversations and support each other’s hopes and dreams – I think having a small circle of friends where you can be your full, vulnerable, authentic self is SO important for women.
14. People are surprised to learn I…
I am pretty transparent. I am not sure there are any surprises left.
When I visited The Spring’s website, one of the first things I noticed was an yellow button in the top right corner that says “Leave Site Quickly” and jumps to Google when you click it. It made me tear up when I noticed it. I think this “escape” button is a perfect analogy for what The Spring provides for the women and children it serves, and we thank you, Mindy, for helping so many women have the courage to “Leave Site Quickly” and amplifying the message that domestic violence is never acceptable.