Nicole Yates has given my little girl a voice. Pretty powerful, huh? When we started speech therapy with Nicole, Rory had made almost zero progress in her previous few years of speech—she couldn’t even mimic the sounds you asked her to make—and as a mom I was terrified my girl would never talk. She has severe apraxia, a neurological motor planning issue where the brain and mouth have trouble communicating. It requires intense and specific speech therapy, and after searching for the right fit for years, Nicole was instrumental in helping coax out each sound and word with her amazing patience and knowledge, and her ability to use PROMPT therapy with our girl. She is not only Rory’s therapist, she is a dear friend who is so special to our family, and I am thrilled to share her with you today.
1. Tell us in a few sentences what you do. And why you do it.
I am a pediatric speech-language pathologist. I do it because I want to help children communicate. My main focus is in AAC (communication devices) and PROMPT which is a method involving tactile cuing that helps kids who are hard to understand. I love giving kids a way to communicate so they are not frustrated and then helping them be understood when they start talking. I have sat in many sessions when children tell their parents they love them for the first time. I love my job!
2. What is your contact info (that you want shared) please include any active social handles, websites etc.
3. When I wake up in the morning the first thing I do is…
…nurse my 9 month old and change diapers.
4. My best business advice is….
If you aren’t a business person, pair up with one who can help you. Get a good accountant who can help you with tough business decisions.
5. My professional goal for 2021 is…
Have a normal year. We are a new business and with the pandemic 2020 was so chaotic. I want to see what our business looks like after 1 year that is semi-normal.
6. Supporting women in business is now more critical than ever. How can our community best support you?
If you know children who need speech and occupational therapy, please refer them to us! Especially if they are not talking yet, as I feel like this is my best professional niche.
7. Your Astrological sign:
8. Favorite donut:
Vanilla frosted with sprinkles
9. Favorite podcast:
This American Life
10. Favorite book:
Love Wins By Rob Bell
11. Favorite pandemic binge watch:
12. When I practice self-care I…
…work out or run.
13. The place I am happiest is…
…with my kids.
14. People are surprised to learn I…
…am fluent in sign language.
15. What is your favorite pet?
My goldendoodle Charlie (even though he’s a handful)
16. 2020 taught me…
…to live each day like it could be your last.